Mounted Print 41cm x 51cm (A3)
In 1872, Lord Annaly built an artificial reservoir on a hillside to the south east of Ballyvaughan. It was fed by two springs and the water was distributed through a system of pipes to serve the farming community. In 1875 two Connemara stonemasons, the Coyne brothers, were marooned in Ballyvaughan when their craft sank at Gleninagh pier. Thanks to their craftsmanship, they erected the Water Fountain that now stands proud in the heart of Ballyvaughan village. This was the main source of water for the villagers for some time. A 'Gift' indeed in a time when water did not flow freely in homes.